Monday 14 August 2017

'Goat' Lunch Bag

I am looking at the calendar and can not believe the numbers. All these squares, well placed in order, only point out to me, that August is half gone and soon to be September. How weird is that? I have a feeling the summer have just started and is already dripping through my fingers.

Getting ready for school is the first sign of the going away summer. This year, my little daughter wanted to have a new lunch bag - something different from all the lunch bags out there, something fun. She loves animals, so here it is the choice for my next project with DailyLike Canada - an adventurous lunch bag. 


Materials used:

1. 0.5 yards Daily Like Canada Goat oxford cotton for the face of the bag and for inside of handle
2. Fat Quarter Daily Like Canada Green Land cotton 20C for binding
3. 0.5 yards Daily Like Canada Lace Flower laminated cotton for lining the body
4. Daily Like Canada Webbing Strap , colour: khaki 
5. Pellon Flexi-Foam, one -sided fusible
6. Cotton batting
7. 45 cm zippers for the bag body and the pocket


The laminated cotton is really soft and easy to work with. It protects nicely the inside of the bag, without adding any weight to it. 


I chose to work with contrasting in colour zippers, that accent nicely the lace flower print on the laminated fabric. My working length of the zippers is 45 cm - way longer than the needed size, especially for the pocket (the measured length is 35 cm). Because of the curve on the pocket, where it limits the freedom of sewing, I chose the longer zipper, that allowed me wider opening while creating the pocket and afterwords, when it was time to even the edge at the bottom of the bag, I just cut the zipper to the desired length. 


I designed the bag to fit a bento box with certain size. My need for the bag was to be narrow at the bottom and taller, so it could fit in the regular size school backpack. There is nothing worse than hand-holding a lunch bag in the winter or in cold windy weather. The wind goes through gloves and mittens, and while waiting for the school bus, that sometimes is late in bad weather, hands stay in the jacket pockets, well protected.


I designed the front pocket with one inside pocket to carry cutlery, napkin, little bottles of dressing or spices, or just a packet of biscuits.


The fabric quantity is enough to make an extra bag for small agendas, pocket format dictionaries or just a sandwich.


I attached my signature button at the front and a piece of matching webbing strap on the back, crocheted the edge with colour, matching the zipper and handed these beauties to my girl. She got so excited!


The pattern for the lunch bag could be found in my happy shop

Lunch Bag Pattern by Ivelina
Well, it is a start, getting ready for school! And I found a reason to appreciate the last few weeks of summer even more. I hope you find the way to enjoy the season without stress and savour it in full.



Thank you so much for spending time with me!
Wishing you wonderful days ahead, full of adventures!

♥ Ivelina

No comments:

Post a Comment